Monday, January 16, 2023

What's Up, Docs?

If the “effective” portion of the Biden presidency didn’t end with the election of a Republican-led House, it sure seems to be over now, with the discovery of more secret documents on Biden’s premises. As many, many other people have pointed out, there is little comparison between Biden’s document situation and that of TFG. Biden’s team were the ones who found the misplaced docs and turned them in immediately, and has been actively cooperating with the National Archives ever since. TFG delayed and prevaricated so much they had to issue a search warrant just to find out what was still there, long after his team swore that all docs had been turned over.

But none of that matters to a GOP House. The Democrats just handed them two years of investigations on a silver platter, with the delicious irony of it being a similar issue to the one over which TFG has been dogged.

Now we can look forward to every new revelation being blown up to the most important threat to national security ever, whether it’s an 8-year-old requisition for military-grade TP or the names of every spy and mole in the system. The truth won’t matter to these “esteemed panels,” only headlines and outrage. I expect Fox "News“ to set up a regular time slot with its own theme music, just to cover “Docu-gate.”

This is what they do. Why bother to govern when they can get people pissed off enough to, with any luck, vote them back in two years later, despite having no beneficial accomplishments on which to run.

And it’s doubly upsetting that the Dems just handed this to them like a 16th birthday present only instead of a new sports car with a bow on it, it’s a lip-sticked, gift-wrapped, pig.

Republicans will be working overtime to ensure that the only things Americans care about more in 2024 are Hunter Biden’s dick picks. All the better to provide cover while they strip Social Security and Medicare, for parts.

***

I saw this on FB a week or so ago and it just rubbed me the wrong way.

On the surface, it may seem benign, but because I culled it from a Republican friend’s stream, I know what it’s really about.

Yeah, this is a call to go back to the “good ole days,” where Black people were property, gays were closeted, and uppity women were burned at the stake as witches.

Or, is it the yearning for a more recent past, when Black people were locked into subservient jobs, gays were still closeted, and women were tied to the kitchen and bedroom.

Note that in both eras, well-to-do White men got to pretty much do as they pleased. To this mindset, I’m sure it does seem like the tearing down of civilization when your own demographic no longer rules the roost by default. But a civilization really prospers when everyone is on it and the world is not just a looting opportunity for the ruling class.

I hope you had/are having a nice MLK Day. It’s a shame that so many pay lip-service to his words and then act in complete contrast to their meaning. But I’m happy to enjoy a day off, in celebration of an extraordinary man.

And it’s especially sweet because MLK Day is the anniversary of my first date with Sweetpea. This year the numbers line up exactly as they did in 2017, when we met on Sunday 1/15, (which we now call our Meet-a-versary) then went out for lunch the next day because we were both off from work. (If interested, you can read full story here.)

That’s one thing I learned from my dad… use national holidays for important occasions; that way you always have the anniversary off. This, from the guy who got married on July 4th.

I wish I could say that it was intentional in my situation, but I’d be lying. Sometimes, shit just works out a certain way and you go with it.  

So happy anniversary, Sweetpea! It’s surely a good thing that we met… after all, if the Republicans get their way, it’s going to take both our Social Security checks to keep from living in a refrigerator box in my brother’s garage.

6 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I will be living under a bridge if I lose the money I paid. I wish I could be violent. I'd take 'em all out.
My anniversary is new years eve. He never forgets. :-)

Bohemian said...

Happy Anniversary... yes, setting up important Dates around Holidays works for me too and definitely for The Man, he knows then we should be Celebrating something, even if he's not sure what it is? LOL As for the whole handing over on a Silver Platter shit that the Dems could have and should have avoided. As a non-partisan player in the whole Political Arena, it disturbs me that at least ONE Party can't get their shit together to ensure we don't lapse into chaos and disastrous governing, you know? I don't like having to Vote Blue no matter Who... I'd prefer to have a Candidate I really trusted not to do stupid shit, shady shit, engage in any criminal behaviors, you know, just be able to be Trustworthy and have the Country and it's Citizens, ALL OF US, at Heart for a change. I know, I Dream Big and am probably delusional about all of that. Social Security and Medicare being on the chopping block concerns me since Pensions is what we are still Raising a Family on and Military Retiree Earned Benefits have been eroded enuf by previous Administrations that just pay Lip Service to our Veterans who Honored their end of the Contractual Agreements, while our Govt. shafted them and didn't Honor their end and changed all the Benefits and Rules just becoz they could. As for keeping us Women, Minorities, Foreigners, Working Class and LGBTQ in our places, well, it seems that IS the only Goal of the ReTrumplican Party now, no other focus, yet, they still get support and undying Loyalty from some of the very People they wish to Oppress or Eliminate from Society... go figure.

bluzdude said...

In theory, I wouldn't mind supporting a Republican, but the trouble is that they've gone so far 'round the bend, none of them support anything I believe in. I have no choice but to vote straight D.

bluzdude said...

Peg,
Of course he remembers. How could he ever forget the day he landed YOU?

Bohemian said...

Well, update is they've now found Classified Docs at ex-VP Pence's residence, so that was quite The Gift to this President. Personally, I doubt either Biden or Pence had any nefarious reasons for what shouldn't have ended up offsite and somehow did and wasn't immediately discovered and returned. But, it will certainly be a Get Out Of Jail Free Card for 45's nefarious reasons for what he not only had, but obstructed returning, his Motives being unclear at best, at worse, criminal.

bluzdude said...

It'll be interesting to see them tapdance to justify how Biden's docs warrant a prosecutor but Pence's don't.