Monday, October 10, 2022

High There

I trust you saw the good news over the weekend: President Biden is pardoning all those with federal marijuana possession convictions? I understand it doesn’t really cover that many people; I read there are only between 6000-7000 people that have such convictions and none are currently in jail. But it’s still an important step to sane weed laws.

First of all, it does help those 6000+ people by wiping a serious conviction off their records. Often employers want no part of hiring anyone with a prior arrest, no matter what it’s for.

When I used to manage record and video stores, it was an automatic disqualification if that box was checked on the application. No matter how perfect the candidate may have been for the job, I was forbidden from hiring them.

Secondly, and I think most importantly, it sets a signpost for governors to do the same. That’s where the real numbers kick in. Most pot busts come from the state or local level, not from the feds. The president leading on this issue can get a lot of people back into the legitimate workforce.

Granted, I don’t think anyone but Blue State governors will bite, but every little bit helps. And if it becomes a campaign issue in Red States, all the better.

It strains the brain to realize that even now, marijuana is still categorized in the same bracket as heroin and cocaine. Seriously. Even when I was back in college, (where I first encountered that little tidbit), I couldn’t believe it.

While I don’t think many people support giving the shit out as party favors on the playground, it can at least be treated on par with alcohol or regular cigs. And the tax windfall should be huge. What government is going to pass up such a lucrative area of taxation? It may even be enough to tempt the Red States. Then they can gain more operating money on the backs of the common people and leave the corporations alone, just like they always do. Although based on recent history, I do expect to hear the following argument from the Right:

"Hey, I took my pot bust like a man. I accepted my consequences. Everyone else needs to suffer like I did or else it won't be fair to ME."

The thing is, no amount of government propaganda and scare tactics are going to convince anyone who’s smoked pot, or even been around someone who’s smoked pot, that it’s some kind of heinous pharmaceutical boogieman. We’ve all seen it. Most of us have survived it, none the worse for wear. That’s why I’m sure that marijuana legalization is going to pass with flying colors in next month’s Maryland elections.

Those like me who grew up in the 60s and 70s will welcome the chance to decriminalize it. The people who are hard biased against weed are probably those who grew up in the 40s and 50s, and are aging out. Or maybe not.

My dad, who was always highly anti-pot, eventually softened his stance once he got older and began experiencing chronic back and leg pain. It was keeping him from sleeping until he tried THC oil. He’d put a few drops on a pizzelle before bed and it was lights out. He eventually got himself a medical marijuana prescription for it. So maybe the old anti-reefer people will come around once they see what it can do for them now.

I got my ballot over the weekend, which reminded me that legalizing pot is even being voted on. I completely forgot. The state legislature is ready to legalize, but wanted the voters to give them the cover of a mandate. I’m pretty sure they’ll get it.

Once it’s passed, I expect our next governor to follow Biden’s example and pardon/waive/forgive all simple marijuana possession convictions. (Assuming it’s not Dan Cox, GOP nominee and TFG’s Maryland ball-licker-in-chief, who I expect to lose by at least 20 points. I expect he’ll just do whatever TFG tells him to do.)

For my part, I’ve never been much of a pot smoker. I can probably count on my fingers the times I’ve indulged and still have some left over. Most of those times, usually when I was in my teens or early 20s, I was already so drunk I couldn’t tell the difference after taking a hit. But the biggest reason for not doing it is that I don’t like smoking anything. Regardless of any benefits of mellowing out, I end up coughing my face off trying to get rid of the tightness in my chest. Who needs it? I’d just as soon have a couple of drinks and call it a night.

But the big change that legalization would present to me is making edibles available. I’m very keen to try copping a buzz via eating a light snack. If I like it enough, I may just quit drinking. There will be fewer calories than alcohol and it will be much easier on my liver. Of course it may be so expensive that drinking remains the go-to vice. So we’ll see what happens.

And speaking of health, I hit a new high on my Fitbit from last week. I got my best sleep marks ever!

Sure, my daily steps have cratered since I stopped going into the office, but at least I can still rack up the sleep!

I wasn’t really having much trouble sleeping before but for some reason, the Fitbit would delay when it started tracking me as asleep. I’d get up from a good night’s sleep, check my stats and it would only have shown me as asleep from 1:30 AM on, when I was out cold by 11:15. Anyway, I had a very good week not only with time spend asleep, but the quality. I think it was because it finally turned cool at night, and there’s nothing like burrowing down under the covers on a chilly night.

And now, a word from Herschel Walker and every other Republican Congressman and Senator:

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If your candidate is the best, why are you so afraid of election DAY? Trustable, reliable, secure, countable that night election DAY?

bluzdude said...

It's been a long time since I've seen a comment that's so wrong in so many ways. I'm going to have fun picking this apart in my next post.

But for a short answer, there is no causal linkage between the quality of a candidate and when the votes are counted. This sounds like something Tucker Carlson pulled out of his ass to make his impressionable viewers go "Oh, hey yeah," despite the logical fallacy that rages just outside of their grasp.

Even shorter answer: If you want election results on Election DAY, you'll need to start counting ahead of time. The Maryland primary elections demonstrated that exact point.

Bohemian said...

Yellowdog Granny had a great Meme on her Blog about God being Okay with Gays so long as they're High. Quoted the Scripture where it says when a Man lays with another Man he must be Stoned. I Laughed so hard I almost spilled my drink on the Keyboard and sent the Meme to my Grandson and his Husband.