Monday, April 8, 2024

Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On

Anyone feel that Northeastern earthquake last Friday? I can report that I felt no such thing here in Baltimore, although others had reportedly felt it in the Baltimore/DC area.

Never one to leave a solid omen unpoliticized, Rep. MT Greene (3-Toes GA) proffered the following wisdom:

God is sending America strong signs to tell us to repent. Earthquakes and eclipses and many more things to come. I pray that our country listens.”

As soon as the rational population could stop laughing, they went about setting the record straight, in that eclipses are known hundreds, if not thousands of years ahead of time, and that there are up to 55 earthquakes that strike the planet each day.

Never one to back down from having said something stupid, Greene doubled down by citing more Bible passages:


Yes, even if we accept the irrationality of using the Bible to clear up geological and astrological phenomena, is THIS the person we need to provide the interpretation?

Maybe she has one of those customized Bibles, that contains a passage somewhere that reads, “Let some hateful, small-minded, charlatan conjure up fascist propaganda in My name.”

How do we know that the correct interpretation of these incidents isn’t that it’s a warning against restricting people’s personal freedoms at the behest of one small aggressive sect of religious whackaloons?

That’s what I say it is and I have as much experience in what God intends with His omens, as Ms. Greene does.

Of course, she’s not really talking to the country, she’s addressing the sheep who have elected her twice. I wonder what she’s ever done for her district, other than provide a misplaced air of haughty superiority. I’ll never understand how after her first term, her district could look at the job she’s done and go, “Yeah, we want more of THAT!

No Labels, No Problem

I saw last week that the “No Labels” group is abandoning their attempt to run a third-party presidential candidate. One less distraction in the mix, that’s always a good thing. I don’t think they realized how transparent their stated, high-minded intentions were. No matter what their messaging said, everyone could see it was all about sabotaging Biden’s reelection chances by siphoning off Democratic votes.

I’m sure the reason they couldn’t find anyone to carry their banner is that anyone paying attention knew that they’d be a mere sacrificial lamb, with zero chance of winning. Any serious candidate is going to wait until TFG is out of the mix, as well as an incumbent president, and take a chance in the free-for-all in 2028. No sense in wasting reputation and resources on a predetermined trouncing.

More from the Echo Chamber

I’m not even addressing the details of this tragedy, other than to point out one of Fox “News’s” most common misdirections.

Biden ridiculed for obvious hypocrisy…” Who do you think is doing this ridiculing? Well gee, I bet it’s all those talking heads at Fox, OAN, Breitbart, and the rest of the Republican bubble. They manufacture the controversy, and then go, “Hey look, there’s a controversy,” as if it’s a legitimate news story. Rule number one in journalism is that you don’t become part of the story. But I don’t expect that Fox has many J-School grads on the payroll.

Today’s Debunkery

I culled this from Facebook last week:


Just another hunk of fallacy from the fossil fuel industry and their trolls. The point of electric cars isn’t what’s put into them as much as what comes out. Even though there is energy necessary to charge up the car, the emissions are zero.

And the electricity used for charging is created with less pollution than gasoline. So it doesn’t have to be pristine, just less than what we already do. We can’t let “perfect” become the enemy of “better.” But the oil companies don’t want you to think about that. They just want to keep the gasoline gravy train running as long as it can.

And to be clear, I don’t think we’re ready for widespread use of electric cars because the infrastructure is not there yet. It won’t be until there are more charging stations across the “heartland” away from urban centers, and the time needed for charging is brought down. But the tech is advancing steadily and these issues will be ironed out soon enough. But memes like this are trying to sow the seeds of mistrust, to keep the population hooked on gas, regardless of the effect on climate.

Turn Around…

So, today was Eclipse Day. (Gee, I wonder if I can find a US Representative from Nowheresville to explain to me what it all means!)

As Baltimore wasn’t in the path of totality, it was kind of like the sun went behind a thick cloud for a while. It was still light, but sickly-looking, as if it was from an old photograph or a spooky movie. When I went out to retrieve our recyclables bin from the curb, I considered grabbing my post-dilation dark shades and wrap them around my usual sunglasses, but I still knew better than to risk my eyesight just for a glimpse of odd-looking light.

4 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

When I lived out west I freaked out at my first earthquake. I never knew they had them in Seattle. I'd rather have snow and live in Buffalo thank you.
Love the electric vehicle owner meme! I admit I don't love everything Biden does. But by God he is the best out of Kennedy and Trump. A monkey would be better than Kennedy or Trump. I shouldn't say that I love monkeys and they are smarter than trump

Infidel753 said...

I'm reminded of the Loma Prieta earthquake of 1989 in the Bay Area (I was living there at the time). Some of the fundies claimed it was God's punishment for San Francisco's open acceptance of gays, which was a rare thing in the country at the time. However, it was quickly pointed out that none of the gay bars in San Francisco had been damaged by the quake, but quite a few churches had been. God's intended message remains something of a mystery.

bluzdude said...

It's like when some of these Doomsday Preachers make an outlandish claim that they know when the Rapture is coming, then, of course, life goes on as usual... I wonder what they do next after they've been proven wrong. You never seem to hear from them to follow up. I presume they come up with another lame pronouncement claiming they used their influence to spare all the sinners.

bluzdude said...

Peg,
Back in 2011, we had an earthquake we felt here in Baltimore. I was working in our home office, on the 13th floor, and we could definitely feel the building sway. It got our management off their ass to demand we come up with an emergency plan for earthquakes, that we never had before. Nobody thinks about earthquakes here in the East.

I had just recently left our Continuity of Business (COB) Dept, which was responsible for such plans, but they hadn't replaced me yet. Plus, the COB director was on vacation, so the heat fell on ME. PLUS, there was also a hurricane heading for the gulf coast, so we had an All Hands On Deck COB situation there too. It was a total CF. I had to tell our HQ in NY to go pound sand when they asked me for a bunch of useless information about ourbranch locations that might be in the storm's path, (which ran to the hundreds) so I could research earthquake strategies for our Baltimore office execs. I said I could either come up with their pointless data (that they could access themselves) or formulate a solution to an actual problem.
Hurrah for Corporate America!