Thursday, June 25, 2009

Missing an Angel

I know I haven’t posted in a while… I’ve been working on my reaction to the Pittsburgh Penguins winning the Stanley Cup, (Whooooo!) but I felt compelled to comment on this development today.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I can't say I was unprepared for this moment, but it still hit me like a punch in the gut.

Farrah Fawcett died today after a 3 year battle with cancer. The online world has been filling cyberspace with lavish tributes and remembrances. This is my small one.

I was 15 when Charlie's Angels came out and I already had The Poster. (My dad eagerly bought one each for my brother and me.) I watched the show, I clipped her pictures out of magazines, read books about her; I devoured everything Farrah. I remember watching her play tennis against Bill Cosby on Battle of the Network Stars and rooting desperately for her to win. (I’m sure Cos tanked that shot at match point to let her win.)

She was my Marilyn Monroe.

I didn't want to watch her last Special, but I just couldn't help it. I know it may have been considered an opportunistic grab for attention, but it was also heartbreaking.

I feel a bit like I did when Princess Diana died. It was the loss of someone I didn’t know and was a million miles away in every sense. But it was like losing someone I’ve known all my life. It doesn’t really make sense, does it? Except deep inside, it does.

Our world got a little bit dimmer today. That was one Angel I always believed in.

No comments: