Despite the serious intonations of wizened media types, I remain unshaken in my belief that there will be a massive attempt to steal the midterm elections, and it will probably succeed. I agree with Nobel-winning economist Paul Krugman:
The plain truth is that all the main players in this
administration know that without control of Congress, their options for
remaking this country into the Fifth Reich will be limited to Executive Orders,
which can be easily reversed by a subsequent administration.
They also know that a Democratic Congress means
investigations out the wazoo, and in this round, the prosecutors will have
things like “evidence” and “proof.” Democrats may not be able to get the Orange
Cretin out of the office, because the Senate will be unlikely to convict (short
of a Democratic sweep this November), but they can get some of these fake-patriot
clowns to make a public vote in support of the most unpopular president in
history.
So, the Felonious Guy might not care about maintaining a
Republican Congress in a general sense, but he understands that things will be
tougher on him without one. He’ll be motivated to do whatever it takes to claim
victory in the fall elections. A Republican Congress will also make things
easier for him to create a third term as president. Having guys “on the inside”
always does.
Yes, I know that many of the ploys the MAGA types intend
to use are illegal; it’s just that it won’t matter. Take, for example, the idea
of sending ICE into urban voting centers. They could quite possibly prevent Latin Americans from voting, as well as any other brown person with an accent. No
one is going to risk their life and livelihood just to cast a vote in a midterm
election.
Is that illegal? Sure it is. But once it’s done, it can’t
be undone. Votes will be prevented, courts will say it was illegal, but there
won’t be any recourse. Do you seriously think the current court system will allow an additional voting day to remedy the problem? Hell no. The Justice
Department won’t even pursue the charges.
That’s their ace in the hole. Republicans own Justice, and
the highest court will back them up. The only illegal actions are those that
these conservative toadies SAY are illegal, Constitution be damned. There’s
always a way to cherry-pick a decision so it only counts in a particular case.
And the Court has already shown that they will play either side of a principle,
depending on which way favors Republicans. They are not interested in
consistency; they’re interested in acquiring and maintaining power,
specifically power of rich, white, pseudo-Christian men over women,
immigrants, non-Christians, and people of color.
It’s a similar situation if he can gum up voting by mail.
If his minions at the Post Office can just delay ballot mailings to (or from) key
zip codes, that’s all it will take. Again, the damage will be done with no chance
for remedy. They won’t allow more time; hell, they fight the current grace
period as it is (to count votes mailed by the deadline but not yet delivered).
Also note that some say curtailing mail-in voting will
hurt Republicans too. I disagree because they have an easy workaround, as I side-swiped
in the previous paragraph. They don’t have to kill ALL ballots. It’s certainly
within their capability to curtail ballots going to and from key zip codes or
precincts. Detroit can expect a trickle of ballots, but I bet Kansas will find clear
sailing.
This Administration is going to fight against fair
elections in every way they can imagine, and dare anyone to challenge them.
Again, to whom are you going to complain? They run the power structure.
Unfortunately, I have no idea how to combat this, other
than calling it all out as often as possible. I suppose state or local government
could call out the National Guard or police to run interference at the polls,
but I just can’t see that happening. I think it’s more likely that the Guard
and the cops will side with ICE, if only for a chance to use their cool new electrocution
gloves.
This fall will be a trial run for 2028. If the
Republicans can pull off a coup here and avoid seating a Democratic majority, a
third Trump term will be a done deal. The 2026 midterms are the beta test. The
president will do everything in his power to avoid losing the protections of
the office because he knows that he, his family, and his inner circle are likely to
go to jail. He has zero incentive to respect the rules of our democracy and
every motivation to burrow into the White House like a tick.
I would love to be wrong about all this; I really would.
We’ll know for sure in a couple of months.
In Other News: RIP
Wow, it’s been a real bumper crop of celebrity deaths in
the last weeks.
Frank Beard,
drummer for ZZ Top. I’ve been listening to ZZ Top for almost as long as they’ve
been around, over 50 years, at least. I always loved his drum fill right as the
main riff for La Grange kicks in. Ironically, so many of his obits list his
credits on Gimme All Your Lovin’, Sharp Dressed Man, and Legs, because they’re all
from the album where they used a drum machine in the studio.
Hayden Panettiere,
actress best known (to me) as the indestructible cheerleader on Heroes. It’s
such a shame when someone so young passes. I haven’t seen an official cause of
death but I’m guessing it’s a delayed reaction from being crushed under the
weight of her giant, heavyweight boxing champion ex-husband.
Dolly Parton,
singer, saint. Geez, who doesn’t love Dolly? I look at Dolly the way I look at
Taylor Swift. She didn’t make my kind of music, but I admired the hell out of
the person she was. She did more good work in a morning than most politicians
do in their whole careers.
Tim Curry,
actor, singer. Are they really sure he’s dead? They thought Pennywise was dead
too, but he always comes back.
Jaye P Morgan, singer, game show panelist. I had a big crush on Jaye P during my early teen years, from her appearances on The Gong Show, because she was sexy, witty, and bawdy. Might have been my first “MILF,” had I even known what that was in the late 70s. I imagine her carrying on right now, with Gene Gene the Dancing Machine.
No comments:
Post a Comment