Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Big Giant Killer Death Storm Pt 2

I really wasn’t going to post about the snow again but sometimes life just has other ideas.  We got about 30” over the weekend.  That’s a record snowfall for the Baltimore area.  There’s just nowhere to put it all.

I handled it in stages.  Saturday, I was able to go out and clear the snow off my car.  I figured that was a good start.  On Sunday, I tackled the area behind my car that was covered by 3 feet of snow.  Without a shovel.

I really should buy a shovel.  I’ve resisted so far because I live in an apartment complex.  I don’t think I should have to buy any kind of outdoor tools, just on principle.  I may have to rethink that strategy.  Even though I’ve only needed a shovel twice in 12 years, I really could have used one.  My principles weren’t very good at moving snow.  The broom I used to clear my car just wasn’t cutting it.  My only option was to kick the snow away.  My neighbors were probably getting a good laugh out of it.  I looked like a clumsy Rockette.

This is what I was dealing with:
It was actually quite pretty when I went out to clear the car.

You could see that I had my work cut out for me.

This was from later in the week, at things began to thaw a bit.

So it started snowing again yesterday afternoon.  I tried to go to work but after spending a solid half hour waiting for the subway train that never appeared, I thought better of it.  Lord knows what kind of CF was looming if I should I get on and then, God forbid, attempt to come home later.  I was especially ticked because the MTA website said they were running as scheduled on both tracks.  I detest being lied to by government agencies.  So I bailed on the day.

It snowed all last night and it’s still snowing out now.  Plus it’s blowing around like a cyclone.
This was from an hour ago.  I’m going to have my work cut out for me again to dislodge my car.

You can kind of see the fog of blowing snow in this shot.

Obviously I’m home again today and I’m wondering if I’ll ever go back to work.  If only I could find a way to get paid to stay home, sleep late, read the paper, write blogs and watch sports.

3 comments:

Sally-Sal said...

That much snow would have me cabin crazy. I'd probably gnaw my leg off from the claustrophobia.

Then, I'd fashion a peg leg and go outside.

bluzdude said...

You have to be careful going out into deep snow with a peg leg. You could get it stuck, then all you you'd be able to do is go around in a little circle.

Sally-Sal said...

That's why pirates had parrots on their shoulders.

They were the first 'carrier pigeons'. Or, as the pirates called them 'peg leg fetchers'.