Monday, December 27, 2010

Holiday Afterglow

I trust everyone had nice Christmas?  I hope so.  And I hope no one got bit by the nasty weather that screwed up so many travel plans.  It was definitely a good Christmas to stay close to home, at least on the east coast.

We were supposed to be socked with a major snowstorm yesterday, but it pretty much skirted around Baltimore.  We got an inch or two, but nothing like some of the places north of us.  OK, so much for the weather report.

Pinky and I had a nice, peaceful Christmas morning.  I wouldn’t say she kept coming into the bedroom to wake me up for presents, but after the 5th or 6th trip in to ask me about how she should make the gingerbread, I took the hint and got up.

We ate gingerbread and opened presents in front of the fireplace they broadcast on TV. 
We apartment dwellers have to make do.

The present from Bluz Sister knocked me out… alumni sweatpants and a tee shirt from my high school.  I supposed if I still lived in NW Ohio, it wouldn’t be such a big deal and I could find this sort of thing locally.  Not that I’ve ever seen anything when I’ve visited.

Pinky gave me over 30 hours of belly laughs by getting me 2 seasons worth of "30 Rock" on DVD.  Plus, I get to look at the yumminess and wit that is Tina Fey.

So later, I went to my brother’s house for Christmas dinner.  Seems that the boys (Sammy, 5 and Daniel, 11) got an air hockey game for Christmas.  So I spent most of the day downstairs with them, working on my air hockey game. 

Sammy was actually pretty good.  Not that I let him beat me, or anything.  If you’ll recall, I posted earlier this year on how I don’t believe in “letting” kids win.  Not that I played all out or anything, but I didn’t roll over.
Sammy, defending his goal.

You have to watch kids though… they totally cheat.  Sam’s favorite ploy was to dip his elbow onto the table, so his sleeve or arm blocked any shot to his right.  I do allow, however, for the fact that the table is up much higher on him than on the rest of us.  (Even when I played sitting down.) 

More egregious was that whenever he started losing, he’d come around the table and reset the electronic scoreboard back to zero-zero.  Little sneak…  But let me tell you this; 5-year old Sammy would have kicked MY 5-year old ass, no question.  He’s have had my lunch money, easy.

He had the line of the night too:  “I’m gonna beat you like a piece of chicken.”

I have no idea where that came from.  Kids are weird.

On my part, I was talking shit from the moment we started.  I told them I used to hustle air hockey games to earn extra money for snacks and soda.  I said I worked my way through school that way.  I completely expected them to call “Shenanigans” on that, but the both of them bought it without question.

You mean you used to win money at this??  Cool!

I’m going to hell… I know.

They even told their daddy, when he came down after dinner to have a go.

Uncle Bluz used to hustle games when he was in school.”

If Ed realized what they were talking about, he didn’t let on.  Probably just wondered what the hell they were talking about.

The funny thing is that Sammy cleaned house.  He beat his older brother 2 games to 1, fair and square.  (After a couple score resets, of course.)
Daniel, who would have rather been over there playing with his PS3.

Then Sam beat his Daddy.  I don’t think Ed will hear the end of that one any time soon.  Knowing Sam, he’ll probably refuse to play again and trash talk on his victory for the next year.

Naaah.  Sam’s a gamer.  I bet they’ve played a dozen more times since then.

Once we resurfaced for deserts, we did our own gift exchange.  I was delighted with mine… it was Daniel’s suggestion… he saw them in Target and told his mom that they’d be perfect for his Uncle Bluz.
Well chosen, son, well chosen.

As you can see, I christened the Who Made Who glass once I got home.

Sunday was just a veg day.  Pinky had to work and would stay at her place afterward, so I just puttered around and watched football all afternoon and the Penguins in the evening.  With the snow coming and wind howling, it was a good night to be tucked inside. 

I’m off this week until Friday, so this morning I got up to see that all the hype about the storm was nothing but another false alarm.  Pinky rolled in around noon and set out to make some spaghetti.

Life is good.  Ho ho ho.

22 comments:

Mary Ann said...

'O what fun it is...' to have a whole week off at home. Jingle Bells, the kitchen smells like Grandma's years ago./When Pinky cooks/her pasta looks like homemade noodle dough.
Now I am hungry.
What lovely Christmas memories. Your Anthony Wayne duds are truly unique with the graduation date, especially. Yes, indeed. Where does Sister Bluz find such perfect stuff.
Enjoy a peace full end o December and a fabulous New Year in dahntahn Bal-mer.

Raven said...

You are going to hell, but that's okay cuz all the cool people are going there and we can party.

Sounds like you had a great Christmas. I did too, so I can relate. Your nephews are very cute. Love the "I'm gonna beat you like a piece of chicken" bit.

Enjoy your New Year's celebration!

Jessica R. said...

My husband got those same glasses, except with Pink Floyd albums on them!

Glad you had a great Christmas!

Judie said...

Just so you know, and if in case it ever comes up, I happen to be the AIR HOCKEY QUEEN of my whole family. I am totally undefeated!!!

Now for the bad part: There was a story on NPR recently about glassware with decals. It seems that the ones from China have lead in them. Fortunately for me, I broke the last Ronald McDonald glass around 10 years ago.

Please be careful, Bluz, because I would hate for you to turn mental on us because of lead consumption. Oh!!! I just thought!! It may be too late!! xoxo

Mrs. Bachelor Girl said...

What a great holiday. Glad you and Pinky enjoyed yourselves.

That fireplace on the TV is HYSTERICAL.

Oilfield Trash said...

Looks like you had a great Christmas.

bluzdude said...

Mary Ann,
Bluz Sister found that stuff on the AW Alumni Website. Believe me, I asked. But she said that you had to pay like $20 for alumni access, including access to the online store. I can't see paying money just for the opportunity to shop there. It's like stadium seat licenses or something.

Raven,
I have no idea where Sammy got the chicken line... with little kids, their logic doesn't always make sense but I'm sure there's a connection in there somewhere.

Jessica,
With all due respect, I'll take my AC/DC. I prefer power, volume and childish lyrics over psychedelica.

Judie,
I'll take your word for it Air Hockey Queen. I fully admit that I was BSing the boys. However, if I happen to see you in the Arcade, the challenge is ON.

Mrs. Bachelor Girl,
I think the fireplace TV is a great idea. I just which they had one all winter, not just Christmas day. They probably have something like that you can get on DVD, but I'd have to insist that they do better than just a gas fire on fake logs. I want popping and crackling, and someone tending the fire.

Trash,
We sure did... nestled in the bosom of family. That's why I moved to Baltimore in the first place... so not to spend any more holidays alone.

Cassie said...

If you're going to hell, I'll meet you there. I already plan on supplying the ice. That's usually my job when I go places.

Your nephew sounds like an awesome kid. Both of them. Nothing wrong with hustling air hockey for snacks. A kid's gotta eat, right?

bluzdude said...

Cassie,
If they questioned my need for the extra cash, I'da just whipped some tales of woe from the days of old on'em. Like we couldn't afford a proper lunch... their Grandma sent me to school with sawdust between 1 piece of bread folded over. And I was thankful to have it. But a boy needs the occasional Snickers bar.

Cher Duncombe said...

Totally love the glasses and shirts, Bluz! Those kids are so cool. But of course; they're related to you! And please tell Pinky that it is now after 1:00 a.m. and after looking at her pasta, I'm starving! I think there is still a can of Spaghettios in the cupboard that I bought for any grandkids who didn't like what I served. Always good to have a contingency plan. Happy New Year, Bluz. Can't wait to see that post!

bluzdude said...

Cher,
Yeah, she does real good with the spags and sauce.

I don't think I ever had Spaghettios until I was a grownup. (I wanted to see what the fuss was about... when I was a kid, my friends all had them for lunches and stuff.) But there's something about orange-colored sauce that's off-putting.

Later, I liked to bring the Chef-Boy-Rdee Tortellini for lunch... at least the sauce was red on those.

Just as a word of warning, my NY Day post probably won't roll out until at least the 2nd or 3rd. Pinky and I are spending NY Eve at a Hilton downtown, to see in the new year. Then on NY Day, I'll be OD'ing on college football with a full serving of the Winter Classic hockey game, live from your own Heinz Field.

Kernut the Blond said...

Mmmm, that spaghetti looks good! Glad you had a wonderful holiday! The kids look really happy, too. Merry Merry and a Happy Happy!

bluzdude said...

Kernut,
It sure WAS good... in fact, I think I'll have some for lunch!

sherry stanfa-stanley said...

I'll admit I used to let my kids win at games when they were young. Sadly, it didn't take long for them to beat me legitimately at anything involving physical skill. I still kick their asses at Scrabble though, and I gloat in the glory.

bluzdude said...

Sherry,
I don't think you teach kids anything by letting them win. Once they play with their peers, their self esteem is not going to be an issue with their opponents. But when they win legitimately, it's a big deal. Learning how to lose with class is a lesson with life-long uses and is ultimately more important than doing a victory dance.

Burgh Baby said...

Sounds like a pretty good Christmas right there. And, you are SO RIGHT about kids cheating. Alexis steals my Wii remote when we're playing Just Dance all the time. o_O

bluzdude said...

I think people come into the world programmed to seek ways to have an advantage, hence kids are adept at sneaking, cheating, or using their cuteness to get away with things they shouldn't.

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good Christmas, Bluz. We did, too. SOO glad it's over, though. T's off work this week, too. Very nice to have the hubs around. :)

injaynesworld said...

What a great Christmas. Just enough snow for atmosphere, but not enough to squash the celebration. Been watching the stories of all the pissed off people stuck in snowed-in airports and I just have to wonder at the thought process of anyone who would think this would be a good time to travel. Smart of you to stay put.

Happy New Year, my friend.

Judie said...

Yea!!! My Bluz Calendar came today! i'm a happy girl! Now I will never be late for an appointment again! Hmmm, let me rephrase that--now I will know when my appointments are. If I staple the calendar to my forehead, I won't be late!!

bluzdude said...

Cristy,
Hope you enjoy your together time. I always look at this week off as my reward for working hard all year.

Jayne,
Yeah, definitely a good year to stay home. Just lucky this time... I probably travel for Christmas every other year.

Happy New Year to you to. Finding your site and making your acquaintance was a high point of 2010.

Judie,
You actually ordered it?? Wow. I've seen all the incredible art from your friends you feature on your site. If I were you, I'd take some shots of those, or of your own incredible paintings, and make a calendar out of those. So I'm honored that you paid your hard-earned cash for my stuff.

We got our calendars last week... I thought they came out well. I just sent some out on Tuesday to my family.

Next year, I'm going to take everyone's advice and play around more with the colors to really make them pop.

Judie said...

Actually, I already have plans for that calendar for NEXT Year. At the end of 2011, I am going to choose my four favorite photos from your calendar, and frame them to give to Keil for Christmas, to go in his condo.
Of course I ordered it! Did you think I was just jacking you around? I know good photography when I see it.