Monday, December 31, 2018

Better Than a Sleeping Pill

Welcome to the last post of 2018! We’re sliding one in right under the wire to make it 52 posts in 52 weeks. (This last 5-Monday month lets me make up for the post I skipped in June.)

I’ve been off work since the 21st, so I’ve had a lot of time to hang around the house with my Sweetpea and occasionally talk about current events (that don’t involve the dog or household maintenance). One of the things she mentioned was wondering how Sarah Huckabee Sanders can sleep at night after a day of lying through her teeth.

Good question. How does one, who comes from solid evangelical religious stock, square her faith (or at least the Ten Commandments) with her job description of repeating and supporting her boss’s obvious, provable falsehood?

Then it dawned on me… It’s got to be the C-Street House doctrine.

Have you heard of the C-Street House? It made some waves back in 2009 when the reporter, Jeff Sharlet, emerged from years undercover in the C-Street House and wrote an expose. The group who runs the C-Street House has been around for 84 years and they’re basically a collection of religious fundamentalists who help other Republicans get themselves out of trouble. You know… hookers, mistresses, domestic violence, financial crimes, the usual. They provide shelter, moral support, money, and strategy to make the problems disappear.
The operating principle with these people is that they are in power because of God’s will; therefore anything they do while in power is His will as well and therefore excused. They feel they can get away with anything, no matter how depraved.


I know, creepy, right? In the Evil, Scary Power-Mad Maniac You See in the Movies kind of way.

Now I don’t know if they allow women into this den of thieves, but I’ll bet Mike Huckabee knows a thing or two from the C-Street House. And I bet that “knowledge” is passed right down to his daughter Sarah.

What are a few thousand lies when believe you have God Almighty backing you up and telling you that you’re doing the right thing? The lies are just Tinker Toys used in building the Lord’s favored domain.

I bet she sleeps like a baby, knowing that she serves a higher purpose than leveling with unwashed heathens in the press and the rest of the country.

I’m just not sure that’s going to work for the rest of us. Somebody pass me the Ambien…

Actually, I sleep pretty well, as long as I remember to turn my brain off before bed… which isn’t that hard now at my age.  I’ll be lucky to see midnight tonight. I probably ought to set my alarm for 11:45.

Here’s to a happy and progressively liberating new year!

5 comments:

Jono said...

I did not know about the C-Street House! Still the Republicans/Fundies seem to have more than their share of sins exposed on a daily basis. Now I find that much of it is already being made to go way. I'll bet they're glad god is on their side! These people seem way more corrupt and amoral than your average person on the street by a long shot. Whatever absolves them of their (seemingly endless) sins is something they will want to hang on to. Do Democrats have a similar operation?

bluzdude said...

I kind of wish the Democrats did. When one of their own trespasses, they throw them out themselves. Just ask Al Franken. The Republicans don't even have to lift a finger.

Infidel753 said...

therefore anything they do while in power is His will as well and therefore excused. They feel they can get away with anything, no matter how depraved.

Religion has always claimed to be a source of morality; in fact, it's the prime source of rationalizations for behaving immorally. And hypocrisy has always been the single most salient trait of the Christian Right.

When one of their own trespasses, they throw them out themselves. Just ask Al Franken.

And rightly so. We should not sink to the Republicans' level of hypocrisy. It's relatively rare that a Democrat faces such accusations, but what Franken did (I think the fact that he apologized confirms that he did indeed do it), while not as bad as the things a lot of the fundies have been caught doing, was still gross and unacceptable. If we did the same things as the Republicans do -- minimizing the offenses, making insinuations about the victims, etc. -- the fury of women voters would not have powered the Blue Wave the way it did.

Here’s to a happy and progressively liberating new year!

Let's hope November was the beginning of taking the country back.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I wanted to write something but then realized I would have already broken my promise to myself to be positive in 2019. So I'll be back tomorrow (wink wink)

bluzdude said...

You can leave the rosy rays of sunshine to the other blogs... you can always feel free to bitch and complain til' your heart's content.