Sunday, November 17, 2013

The Problem with Homonyms

Two Irish nuns are sitting at a traffic light in their car, when a car full of drunks pull up beside them.

"Hey, show us your tits, ye bloody penguins!" shouts one of them.

The Mother Superior turns to Sister Immaculata and says, "I don't think they know who we are.  Show' them your cross."

Sister Immaculata leans out the window and shouts, "Screw off, ye little fookin' wankers, before I come over there and rip yer balls off!"

Sister Immaculata turns back to the Mother Superior and says, "Was that cross enough?"

6 comments:

Valerie said...

Nuns are funny like that.

Hugs!

VALERIE

bluzdude said...

Nuns are much funnier to me now, as a grownup, because they are no longer taking my stuff away from me in class. I bet they have a whole collection of shit they took off their students, sitting in the Nun's Lounge.

Jessica R. said...

We have a song about homophones we sing around here. Now I finally understand the difference between homonyms and homophones.

bluzdude said...

There’s a difference? Can you explain it to me?
Actually, I had “homophones” originally in the title, but was afraid people might see “homophobes” instead. In my online dictionary provided roughly the same definition for both, so I switched to homonyms, which is what I was taught they were. (2 words sounding alike but with different meanings.) Who knew a silly joke about nuns would lead to Grammar Rock?

Jessica R. said...

I can! Homophones sound the same but are spelled differently, ie "weather" vs. "whether." Homonyms sound the same, are spelled the same, but mean different things, ie the crosses in the above story!

bluzdude said...

So I'm getting that the important part here is that I got it right! Whoo Hoo!

And thanks.