Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Mojo Boogie Aftermath - Week 7

This week’s Steelers game was once again opposite the Ratbirds, so I had to catch the game at Jilly’s, my local sports bar.  Sitcom Kelly met me there.

So far this season, the “random” factor has been ruling my Steelers mojo.  I haven’t worn the same shirt twice to games at Jilly’s, to I opted to continue that streak.  However, I’ve worn the same hat each time, so I continued that too.  This was today’s mojo gear:

Note:  The Steelers wore black again, even as the visitors.  This is the third Steelers away game that the home team decided to wear white.  The Steelers have not worn their white jerseys all season.  I figured that was the way things were going to go today, hence my wearing a black polo.

Sitcom Kelly and I sat at the bar and right off the bat, the yokel beside me started in about the Steelers game.

Yokel: Ben ought to be banned from the league for raping people.  It’s disgusting.

Me: Boy, Ravens fans sure have short memories.

Yokel:  Why do we have short memories.

(Game action was continuing on the screens, so I didn’t answer right away.  Yokel repeated his question 2 more times.)

Me:  You all forget that you had a player that got convicted and did jail time for a crime that left 2 people freakin’ dead and everyone here thinks he’s their hero.  No one ever proved anything ever happened with Ben; they didn’t even have enough to bring charges.

Yokel:  Ray didn’t do nothin’.

Me:  He lied to the cops and obstructed an investigation.  He pleaded to it and was convicted.

I didn’t hear a peep about the Steelers out of the Yokel for the rest of the afternoon.  Just the way I like it.

For the record, I think Ben’s a douchbag… a big-timing, self-important egomaniac that thinks he’s King Shit of Turd Mountain.  Tales of his rampant douchebaggery abound in Pittsburgh.  But it’s not a crime to be an asshole.  I don’t know what happened in Georgia and I suspect there are only 2 people in the world that do.  He says he’s turned himself around.  Time will tell.  But regardless, I don’t want to hear any shit being thrown by some Ratbird-loving shit-kicker.  Last time I checked, those two fuckers that got knifed in Atlanta are still dead.  And Ray-Ray is doing Old Spice commercials.

The Steelers handed 6 points to the Dolphins right out of the gate, courtesy of a couple of fumbles, on their own 22 and 13.  Both times the Steelers defense held them to 3-and-out.

So when the Phins start crying about the controversy at the end of the game that led to the game winning Pittsburgh field goal, they can look in the mirror.  If you can’t get a touchdown from there, on your home field, you have bigger problems than the freakin’ refs.

For what it’s worth, I thought the ball should have gone to the Dolphins.  It was a fumble and the defense came up with the ball.  (Ben said he had it until the refs told him it was a TD.)  It was hard to tell from my seat in a sports bar, with no audio of that game.  But I don’t care.  The Steelers have had their share of inexplicable calls that went against them.  Occasionally it cost them a game.  More often, they overcome it and win anyway.

Remember, the Dolphins still had time to move the ball and get into field goal range.  They did squat with that opportunity.

On a lighter note, while we were at the bar, Sitcom Kelly ordered this Pumpkin Ale that came with honey and cinnamon on the rim of the glass.  I had to ask the barkeep to make sure she had a pry-bar handy, in case the suction created in getting at the honey dribbling down the inside of the glass created a seal that affixed the glass to her face.

One only need look at the troubles of Winnie the Pooh to know that honey and small containers don’t mix, especially when you throw a drunk chick into the mix.

So, the Steelers won and the Ratties barely squeaked one out in OT against the 0-5 Bills.  Kelly was upset but I had to remind her that the fact that the Rats didn’t blow out a bottom feeding team is just as good as a loss, from a smack-talking perspective.  The sports-talk radio is going to be burning up tomorrow.

That’s all good for me.  The more discord among the locals, the better.  It’s only a matter of time before they turn on their own team.  And that makes me very, very happy.

17 comments:

Christy said...

People have short memories when it benefits them. I'm still having a problem with Ray Ray and his ability to continue living as a free man. Maybe he'll end up like O.J. and do something completely stupid later and then justice will be served. I know, it's wishful thinking.

bluzdude said...

The thing that irks me about Ray is that he comes off now as a latter-day Messiah, acting as a spiritual advisor to other players and shit.

"Where's the knife, Ray? Where's the bloody fur coat Ray? Why did you lie to the police and hide the evidence Ray? When you had the chance to step up and be a responsible citizen, you acted like a street punk."

DG said...

It was not pretty, but it was a win. It was too bad that Buffallo couldn't pull it off against Baltimore. Ditto SD vs. NE.

I must not have been paying attention lately....just what do you have in your Stanley Cups up there? Is this new?

CrackerLilo said...

By the way, how do you feel about Ray Lewis and the Baltimore Ravens? Glad the Steelers pulled out a win for you, especially since the Ravens also got it done. I've seen references to Lewis being scum on Twitter, but thanks for laying it out. Now I'm even more pissed that Old Spice is stupid enough to ditch the cute, cuddly, and talented Tony Stewart after this season. (He may not have abs of steel, but believe me, you'd rather be like him than Ray Lewis.)

bluzdude said...

DG,
That would be a bale of bacon decorating the Stanley Cups. I figured they should have something in them... I loaded up the Cups about 2 weeks ago, I guess. And you're only the 2nd person to notice (and comment).

Lilo,
Glad to help. Ray's little brush with the law cost him big-time over the years. Even though he was MVP of the Super Bowl in 2000, Disney avoided him like the plague as far as the "I'm going to Disneyland" thing goes. Until very recently, the only commercials Ray could get were for local lawyers and car dealerships and stuff.

Funny thing about the public's memory... the two guys are still as dead as they were 10 years ago.

Judie said...

Sorry,Bluz, but I am just obsessed with your socks! They always look brand new! Do you wash them as soon as you get home? No, wait! You probably don't because you crash after all that food and drink! I bet you keep a bottle of Spray n' Wash by your sink in the bathroom! Am I right?

bluzdude said...

Judie,
You won't be after I tell you this:

I just take them off and put them back in the drawer. They only get worn for a couple of hours, once a week, so I don't feel the need to wash them each time. It's not like I'm out jogging in them, I'm just sitting there, either at home or at the bar.

I usually wash them at the end of the season. Or if they become stinky.

Cassie said...

I know. I don't like to say I DEFEND Ben, but I do say, it's all alleged. I wouldn't have loved more than for him to be convicted, if in fact he did do those things, but really, who knows? And he's a jerk. I've had the unfortunate experience of meeting him several times. He's rude, uncouth and just a jerk.

BUT he plays football. He's not in charge of saving lives, he's not a politician, he's not a police man. He will do nothing to severely impact the world and that's fine with me. I mean, remember, people seem to have a short attention span, regardless of what someone does.

Example: Obama won both the electoral college AND popular vote. Where's all his supporters now? I'm still here.

Mary Ann said...

They are all Sacred Cows, with wreaths of flowers around their necks, meandering through adoring, starving crowds. Some, like Hines Ward, have the grace to live decent lives and contribute to human welfare Others, like Ben Rothlesberger and Ray Lewis, shit all over the street.
If Rothelesberger could stop blowing his nose in his hands, he might be able to hold onto the ball. Ray Lewis stinks no matter what shaving lotion he uses.
That's it from Monday Morning Mom.

Judie said...

Well, all righty, then! You are so very fortunate to not have the smelly man-feet issue!
Wait! All that alcohol you consume during the game probably neutralizes foot odor!! Yes!! That's it!! Good for you, Bluz!

Anonymous said...

Well done, sir. The socks might have been just the thing that accounted for that 1 point we needed. But Ben is high if he thinks he had that ball until the ref signaled TD. As in Milledgeville, he just keep his big yap shut.

bluzdude said...

Cassie,
Good points, all. He’s just another jock, whose job it is to go out and win some football games. Like I said, it’s no crime to be an asshole. Maybe he’s changed after all this… I don’t know. One can only hope.

I’m still here supporting the President too, and everyone that voted for him but are too disillusioned to vote this year should be ashamed of themselves. I’m not totally pleased with everything he’s done, either. (Like appealing the repeal of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell.) But it’s still the same choice as it ever was. The other side will happily roll back all the advances that WERE accomplished in the past 2 years, and dive right back into the kind of government that produced this economic malaise.

Just because the solution hasn’t worked as fast as people want (with their “fix-it-now” demands) doesn’t mean we should chuck it all and go back to what we know didn’t work in the first place. It just doesn’t make sense.

Mary Ann,
(Making mental note not to shake hands with Big Ben…)

Judie,
That’s a plausible explanation as any. But seriously, they’re only on for a few hours. They’re fine. If they got bad, I’d wash them. (I don’t practice mojo based on non-washing of garments.)

Bagger,
Ben said he definitely fumbled, but got it back in the pile. Steelers lineman Jonathan Scott also said he had it in the pile. Both said they gave it up when the refs said it was ruled a TD. However, a Dolphins player also said HE had it the whole time.

All of which underscores the refs’ monumental screw up of not sorting out the pile, TD ruling or not.

Cassie said...

Did you say Chuck? In honor of October being Breast Cancer Awareness month, despite the fact that I find it bogus and WHO REALLY ISN'T AWARE OF BREAST CANCER?!? This is for you:

Chuck Norris's tears cure cancer. Too bad he's never cried.

bluzdude said...

Chuck Norris can make a woman climax by pointing his finger and saying "Booyah."

Cassie said...

Even Chuck Norris jokes are scared of Chuck Norris.

Anonymous said...

They once made a Chuck Norris toilet paper, but it wouldn't take shit from anybody.

bluzdude said...

Cassie and Bagger,
Chuck Norris shot the Sheriff. But he roundhouse-kicked the Deputy.